Thursday, June 19, 2008

Greatest Hits

I am sitting at the computer listening to the new Coldplay album, and contemplating the big change that is about to happen (less than two weeks out, but that isn't what this blog is about).  So far (about halfway in) it is really good and I definitely recommend it if you are into that sort of thing.  It is called Viva la Vida, check it out...

Listening to music and thinking about becoming a parent has caused me to reflect on some of my childhood memories.  I don't have many memories of watching TV (besides some cartoons), a lot of my favorite memories revolve around listening to music.  I can remember sitting in our living room and Dad playing Huey Lewis and the News and Simon & Garfunkel on the record player.  Yes, I am old enough to remember record players.  I loved looking at the album cases and singing and dancing along to the songs.  I can also remember when CD's came out and the Tears for Fears CD that Dad brought home.  Sowing the Seeds of Love is still a jam!  This is definitely something that I am going to carry on.  I can't wait to introduce Elliot to Dave Matthews Band and Coldplay along with the Beatles, James Taylor, Simon & Garfunkel, etc. (sorry Dad, I think I'll leave out Huey Lewis, though I will teach her that it is 'Hip to be Square'!)  Thanks Mom and Dad!  I am eternally grateful!

These are the kinds of things I think about as the nervousness builds.  The Waiting is the Hardest Part....  Oh yeah, add Tom Petty to the list too!

4 comments:

The Thomas Family said...

I couldn't agree with you more about memories of music. Our house was full of music while growing up. My parents loved the rock n' roll bands - Eagles, Lynard Skynard, Bob Seiger, etc. I love southern rock because of my parents...as Matt & I begin our adventure into parenthood as well, I have pulled out CD's of the old songs and put them in my car to listen to. Funny how times like this bring back the memories...

Ryan said...

I remember getting the UB 40 cassette tape of Red Red Wine while we still lived on Wheeler. Liking that song under the age of 4 should've raised a red flag early to Mom & Dad. I also especially liked dancing to the You Can Call Me Al video with Paul Simon and Chevy Chase (still do). Thank You DAD!!!

Pam said...

I even remember you having a crush on Debbie Gibson!! Music has definitely been HUGE in our family. I promise to help Elliot skip her first day of school in high school so that she can see a band she likes. (I get to say I got to enjoy your first DMB concert with you) Loved those times and there are many new ones to come. I will also teach Elliot an appreciation for U2!!!!!!

missa said...

Well I am glad that Elliot will have so many musical influences. I of course will have to educate her on the finer points of classic rock and heavy metal (a la AC/DC and Metallica) and all the dorky eighties stuff. Maybe some cumbias and tejano thrown in for cultural flaire...hahaha! Nothing beats musical memories...Roy Orbison, ELO, AC/DC, U2, Dr. Hook, Beatles...playing "name that band" everytime we were in the car. Thanks mom!