Tuesday, February 12, 2008

The Reality of the Corporate World

This blog is going to be really boring if we just wait for pregnancy news before we update it, so I decided that we would open it up a little more and not just focus on the latest doctor's visit.  It is hard for Jennie and I to pull back the curtain on our lives, as we are probably the most guarded, private people that I can think of (this blog aside!).  We really don't let people get too close, which is something we need to work on.  Maybe this blog will act as a pseudo-therapy source.  All under the guise of our baby.  Also, I have always enjoyed writing, ever since AP English in high school, but I've never found the proper outlet for it.  Well, Hello Blog!

I have gotten to see first hand the cruel hand of Corporate Life this week.  Thankfully, I am shielded from most aspects of Corporate Life since I work in sports.  I don't have to deal with quarters, buzz words, or any of the corporate jargon that has taken over the business world.  However, one piece of business speak managed to sneak into the Texas Rangers organization this week...  Streamline...

This is a fancy way to say "lay-offs," which is a fancy way to say that people are getting fired.  Now, thank goodness, my job isn't in jeopardy.  But we had to let someone from our department go, and that was true for pretty much every department in the organization.  One of the people let go in the sales department was someone that I worked very closely with, and in turn I will be taking over some of his responsibilities.  And, to add a degree of difficulty, this is the start of our busiest time so the learning curve will be quick and not real forgiving.  I am not complaining.  I just feel bad for the people that came to work yesterday with a job and left at lunch without one.  It was an eye-opener to say the least...

I am looking forward to the challenge.  God only gives you what you can handle right?

One positive note, the Ryan Express has pulled into the ballpark.  That's right, Nolan Ryan is my new boss (in a round-about way).  I haven't officially met him yet, but I did get to shake his hand as I walked into his press conference.  Hopefully he will restore a little credibility that we have lacked in recent years...

I know we promised sonogram pictures.  We will try to get them up in the next couple of days.  Have a great week!  Peace...

3 comments:

Thomas and Jamie said...

Jordan,

After working in government my whole life, I can somewhat relate to what you're going through. I know what a scary time it can be when an organization goes through a shakeup. Just know, and I know you do, that God is in control and that He's not going to give you the blessing of an incredible wife, beautiful home and soon to be beautiful little girl without allowing you to provide for your family! Thomas and I will be praying for you during this trying time that you will pick up on your extra duties, extra quickly! We love y'all!

missa said...

You have to believe that everything happens for a reason and that while layoffs are scary and seem like an ending...they can be a brand new beginning. You can't live your life being scared (especially in the corporate world) they are like bees and dogs...they can smell fear. You will be alright...

Hey...what r ya'll doing next weekend?

Sammy said...

I'll put in a good word in for ya...me and Nolan are tight. I have all of his cards.